Mayne Island Early Childhood Society
JOB POSTING – ECE Assistant (ECEA)
Looking to be a part of an exciting childcare experience in a welcoming coastal community?
The adventure: The Mayne Island Early Childhood Society (MIECS) developed a five-day a week licensed daycare, which opened in Fall 2018. This is the only resource of its kind in our community, and we need experienced, fresh-thinking, and creative minds to be part of it!
The Mayne Island Daycare’s program reflects the values and culture of our community. Children are viewed as valued and important members of our community with their own voices, opinions, and knowledge. The program is strongly play-based and follows a curriculum where educators and children spend time together with purposeful real life experiences, play based on children’s current interests, community interaction, and frequent, regular time spent in local forests.
The opportunity: We are seeking a daycare ECE Assistant (ECEA) to support the Mayne Island Daycare manager and early childhood educator in the planning and implementing of a full range of age and developmentally appropriate activities that are inclusive and stimulating for all children. Funding may be available to the right candidate to support them in completing the coursework to obtain their Early Childhood Educator Assistant Certificate.
The setting: Mayne Island is a small island off the Southwest coast of British Columbia with a population of approximately 1000 full time residents. Full of natural beauty and easily accessible to Victoria and Vancouver by BC ferries, Mayne Island is a vibrant community boasting festivals, world class artists, local farming, and a multitude of community gatherings. The island is a true paradise. Rental accommodation can be difficult to obtain on the island, but the board of MIECS is willing to help with your search.
Title:Daycare Assistant (ECEA)
Type of Child Care: Multi-AgeLicensed Care
Reports to:Mayne Island DaycareManager
Location: 535 Fernhill Road, Mayne Island, BC, V0N 2J2, within theMayne Island School
• Early Childhood Educator Assistant Certificate or willingness to obtain by completing one 20 hour course in child development, guidance, health and safety, or nutrition. Funding assistance for this coursework is available.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and organizational skills
• Documented experience nurturing, caring for and guiding children.
• Sensitivity and respect for individual and cultural differences
• Adequate energy level and ability to meet the physical demands of the job, free of any communicable disease, and physically, mentally, and emotionally able to carry out the assigned duties in a child care working environment.
• Superior interpersonal skills; high degree of initiative and dedication; commitment to high quality programming for children and a supportive work environment for staff
• Friendly and approachable personality, team player, reliable and dependable
• Excellent problem-solving skills and conflict resolution abilities
• Ability to take initiative as well as to be flexible and make on the spot decisions depending on the needs of the program
• Valid First Aid and CPR certification. Funding for these certifications may be available. If needed, First Aid and CPR certification would be required to be completed upon hiring.
• Satisfactory Criminal Record Check will be required upon hiring
• Assist in planning and implementing a full range of age and developmentally appropriate activities that are inclusive and stimulating for all children (includes fine and gross motor activities, free and imaginative play, and family circle time)
• Join ECE and children in daily outdoor experiences including active forest walks in local parks.
• Create and maintain a welcoming, emotionally safe, respectful and inclusive environment
• Assist in carrying out routines/curriculum of the program
• Ensure safety and overall well-being of all children in care
• Establish positive relationships with families and their children
• Assist with cleaning and tidying duties and maintaining appropriate health and safety standards in the playroom
• Work with staff team to maintain appropriate supplies and resources for the playroom
• Model positive adult-child interactions that promote intellectual, social and emotional healthy development
• Participate in the development and implementation of special events and programs as required
• May be required to participate and support Board driven fundraising initiatives
• Participate in staff and team meetings and staff training sessions as required
• Fulfill other duties as required
Employment Terms: 6 month term, filling a vacancy due to maternity leave, ending February 28, 2020. There is the possibility of extension due to a foreseen expansion of the daycare.
Position Start Date: September 2019
Hours of Work: 20 hours per week, with potential to increase
Wage: $17/hour to start ($20/hour when subbing for our ECE)